How many times have you heard of an electronic device that is almost 16 years old and still receiving constant support in the form of updates, bug fixes, improvements, and customer support? Most likely, there is not any that you can recall, but Sony’s Playstation 3 is an exception. The device was initially released in the year 2006, and it is 2021, and the support for the device is still present. Recently on 3 December 2020, sony released an update to its PlayStation 3 gaming console. The update aims to provide improvements in the existing software and performance. If you have a PS3 device looking for a good piece of information regarding all the crucial information regarding the changelogs, download, and installation process of PS3 system update, then follow this guide.
Sony is one of the largest and biggest markets in gaming consoles; being on the top and maintaining that position among all the gaming consoles in the market is not that easy. Sony has always been faithful to its customer; even after PS3 is 16 years old, the device is still getting updates at regular intervals of time and customer support. PS3 is the only gaming console with very large support for the game, which is why it is important to keep the device.
Detail, Installation & Changelog of PS3 System Update
Now let’s go through all the details regarding the PS3 system update. In this section, we will cover all the important details regarding the system update, like the changelog or the things that this update brings and how this will improve the overall PS3 usage. we have also covered the steps for downloading and installing the update.
What does the Update bring?
So the most recent update you have received is the PlayStation 3 System Software Update 4.88. The update was initially rolled out on the 3rd of December 2020. The update is focused on stability, performance, and security. This will enhance your gaming experience by some percentage. The update size is not so big. It is rather small in size, 200 MB. Now that you know everything about the update, we can proceed to the installation steps.
To get all the update features, security, and performance updates, you have to ensure that the update is installed onto your console. There are two major ways you can install the update; directly and manually. Both of the methods have been explained in the below section.
How to Install the Update
Installing the update is a very easy process; the update can be installed within a span of a few minutes. There are 3 ways you can use to install the update.
1. Installing the Update Directly from PS3
This method is the fastest among all the methods we will demonstrate. You can directly update your PS3 using this method. Now follow the steps to see how it is done.
Chances are that you might have been notified that a new update is available as soon as the update is rolled. If you have bypassed it or accidentally hit no, follow the steps.
- STEP 1. Make sure that your PS3 is connected to the Internet
- STEP 2. Head to the Cross-media bar and locate the Settings icon
- STEP 3. Under setting, there will be an option for system update
- STEP 4. Now choose Update via Internet
- STEP 5. Now let the update download and install
2. Installing the Update Mannually Using USB
You can try the manual method if you are not getting the notification or if some other issues are preventing you from installing the update directly.
In the case of manual installation, you first have to download the update to your computer. Then you have to transfer it to a USB drive and carry on the further installation steps. Do not worry. All the steps have been given below.
Downloading Update To PC
- STEP 1. While you are on the desktop, open up the web browser
- STEP 2. Once the browser is opened up, click on this link
- STEP 3. A new webpage will open up, and there you will see a blue button Download PS3 Update written on it. Click on the button
- STEP 4. Soon a .pup update file will be downloaded onto your PC
In this method, you will get to learn the manual method to install the update. Below are all the important steps to install the update.
- STEP 1. Make sure that you are not using a USB drive that has content inside
- STEP 2. Also, there must be at least 375 MB of free space available
- STEP 3. Plug the USB drive into your PC, now create a folder in it and name it PS3
- STEP 4. Once the PS3 folder is created, get inside the folder and create another folder named UPDATE
- STEP 5. Now move the update file that you have downloaded above to the UPDATE folder inside the USB drive
- STEP 6. Also, make sure that the update file is named PS3UPDAT.PUP
- STEP 7. Now remove the USB from the PC and connect it to the USB port of your PS3
- STEP 8. As soon as you boot, head to the settings and then choose system update
- STEP 9. Now choose the Update via Storage media option
- STEP 10. The process can take a few minutes to install
Now we end this informative guide by concluding that the PS3 system update is very easy to install. You can either choose the direct installation method or the manual. It is all dependent upon you.
Hopefully, you have got all the information that you were looking for. Thank you!