This guide will discuss the solutions to fix Oblivion Crash on Startup Issue. The crash issue is common in Oblivion; the main reason you might be facing the issue is due to mods. Apart from the mods, incompatibility with your system, incorrect DirectX, or display adapter problems can be the possible reasons for this issue. But do not worry. This guide has multiple solutions to this problem.
Similar Types of Oblivion Crash on Startup Issue
- Oblivion crash on startup mods
- Oblivion crashing windows 10
- Oblivion crash on loading save
- Oblivion keeps crashing
- Oblivion crashes on the loading screen
- Oblivion crashes after a few minutes
- Oblivion won’t launch
- Obse crash on startup
How to Fix Oblivion Crash on Startup Problem Issue
Here we have explained how to eliminate Oblivion crash on startup issues on your PC. Follow the steps of the suitable method, and after that, check if the game works. If the method does not work, try the next method.
1. Run the Game in Compatibility Mode
To fix the crashing issue, the first solution that we suggest is to try running Oblivion in Windows XP (Service Pack 3) or Windows XP (Service Pack 2) compatibility mode. Below are all the steps to follow.
- STEP 1. Make sure that the game is not running, now Right-click on the game shortcut on the desktop
- STEP 2. From the menu list, select Properties; now click on the Compatibility tab
- STEP 3. Below you will see the Compatibility mode section, a checkmark next to Run this program in compatibility mode for
- STEP 4. Just below, you will see the drop-down menu. From there, select Windows XP (Service Pack 2)
- STEP 5. Finally, apply the changes and see if the crash issue is fixed
- STEP 6. In case the issue is not fixed, try Windows XP (Service Pack 3) compatibility
2. Delete the Oblivion.ini File
So a lot of oblivion users have confirmed that the problem can be fixed by simply deleting the Oblivion.ini file. However, the only thing to remember here is that your progress might get lost once you delete the .ini file.
Once you have made up your mind, you can delete the .ini file by going to the below path.
Users\Your account’s name\Documents\MyGames\Oblivion
Once you have deleted the file, simply run the game, and your issue will be fixed.
3. Update DirectX
Another common reason that might be the reason for the game Crashe is due to possible issues with the DirectX you have installed. So the easy fix is to simply reinstall the DirectX. Follow the below steps to do so.
- STEP 1. Launch the browser and open this Microsoft link
- STEP 2. Once the link is opened up, click on the download button to download the latest DirectX to your computer
- STEP 3. Once the installer is downloaded, simply double-click on the file and follow the on-screen instructions to install DirectX
- STEP 4. Once DirectX is installed, it is suggested that you restart your system, after restarting check if the issue is fixed
4. Remove the Problematic Mods
Oblivion has tons of mods. While it may unlock some features for you, there are many cases when these mods can cause issues. Crashing of the game is such an issue; one common reason behind this is the missing master files.
So it is suggested that you use a third-party mod manager to find out which mod is causing the issue, or you have to manually check each mod. Once you have found the problematic mode, simply remove it and launch the game.
5. Changing Executable Names
So this solution is a bit of a workaround multiple users have confirmed this workaround to be working very well. So the workaround is to simply change the executable file name. All the details can be found in the below steps.
- STEP 1. First of all, you need to reach the installation directory of the game
- STEP 2. The easiest way is to simply right-click on the desktop shortcut and, from the menu, select the open file location.
- STEP 3. Once you are in the installation directory, locate the Oblivion.exe file
- STEP 4. Now right-click on the exe file and choose rename
- STEP 5. Now change the name from Oblivion.exe to OblivionLauncher.exe
- STEP 6. Once done, restart the game and check if the issue occurs
6. Fixes for Users with Multiple Monitors
Oblivion crashing issue has commonly occurred for users who are using two or more monitors on their setup. So it is suggested that disabling the second monitor can be your fix. All you need to do is simply press the Windows Key + P key and now select the PC screen only option at the top.
There is a possibility that simply selecting the PC screen may not fix your issue. If that is the case, you have to configure it through your GPU, Intel, NVIDIA, or AMD. So follow the below steps respectively according to your GPU
- NVIDIA Users: Right-click Desktop > NVIDIA Control Panel > Display tab > Set up multiple displays >> Disable all monitors except your PC screen
- AMD/ATI Users: Open AMD Catalyst Control Center > Display management > Disable all monitors except your PC screen.
The above guide discusses six methods to fix Oblivion crash on startup issues for PC users. The problem can occur for multiple reasons you already know by now. The solutions target some most common causes of this issue.
We hope that your issue will be fixed with the given solutions. Thank you!