Civ 5 not launching is a very common issue that has been faced by a lot of people. The game crash majorly occurs due to insufficient system requirements or graphics issues. If you are sure that your PC hardware is fully compatible with the game then chances are that the game files might have been not installed correctly or got corrupted. There can be a lot of reasons which might be triggering the issue. Regardless of what the issue is out today’s guide has some good solutions to fix this issue.
How to Fix Civ 5 Not Launching Problem Issue Very Quickly
In the section, we have included some best ways that can help you fix civ 5 not launching issue as soon as possible. Simply follow the methods and their respective steps and you will be able to resolve the issue.
1. Verify Integrity of Game Files
If you have been playing the game fine earlier then there is a possibility that the issue is occurring because of some issues with the game files. Either any of the game files are corrupted or missing. It can also happen if you have just installed the game. The good step here is to verify the game files.
- STEP 1. Close the Game completely and close steam too
- STEP 2. Now open the steam again, head to your game library
- STEP 3. Now locate Civ 5 and right-click on the game title then choose Properties
- STEP 5. In the Properties click on the Local files tab
- STEP 5. Here you will find the option that says verify the integrity of game files
- STEP 6. Click on the Option and let the process complete
- STEP 7. Once the process is complete you can try running the game
2. Install DirectX
If the issue still occurs and the game fails to play then chances are that either the DirectX is not installed or it is installed incorrectly. In both scenarios, it will be best to install DirectX. Below are all the required steps to perform the installation. Here you need to keep in mind that you need to install DirectX 11.
- STEP 1. Close the game completely and launch the web browser
- STEP 2. Now click on this link to open the download page of DirectX11
- STEP 3. Here you can see the orange download button click on it
- STEP 4. Once the setup is downloaded to your local drive, head to the download location
- STEP 5. Double click on the installer and complete the installation
- STEP 6. Once DirectX is installed restart your system and then try running the game
3. Place the DLL Files
If you have installed DirectX successfully and still the game is failing to launch or you are getting the D3XD error the following solution will fix the issue. To make this method work you have to go to the installation directory of the game. And from there you have to place the missing DLL files. All the steps are given below.
- STEP 1. Make sure that the game is not running, now head to the game installation directory
Progam Files> Steam>Steamapps>Common>Sid Meirs Civilization 5
- STEP 2. This is the directory where the missing dll file will be placed
- STEP 3. Within this directory you will find the DirextX folder as well, go inside the folder
- STEP 4. Now find the missing dll file here, one more thing to notice here is that make sure to copy the dll file matchcing your system type x64/x86
- STEP 5. Once find the file go back to the main game directory and place the dll files
- STEP 6. Now restart the system and then try running the game
4. Do not Run the Overlay Application
One of the reasons that can be triggering the issue is the overlay applications. This means if you are using any sort of music application like Spotify, or a recording or streaming application then also the issue can occur. Below is a list of some common overlay applications. Make sure to not run these applications while you are running the game.
- Screen Recording Programs
- Benchmarking Programs
5. Update Graphics Driver
One of the reasons why your game is not launching is maybe due to the outdated graphics application. If that is the case either you can check the update for windows which will automatically update your graphics driver. Alternatively, you can manually install the update through the Geforce experience application.
- STEP 1. From the Start menu search for the Nvidia Geforce Application
- STEP 2. Once the application is opened up, simply click on the Driver tab on the top
- STEP 3. Now on the left you will find the check for update button
- STEP 4. Click on the button to see if there are any updates present
- STEP 5. If present, make sure to install the update
6. Run the Game as Administrator
If you have not tried this solution then surely give it a try as in most of the game crash issues missing admin privileges is the root cause.
All you have to do is to head to the game installation directory and from there run the game with administrator permission. Follow the below steps for a more clear understanding.
- STEP 1. If you have a desktop shortcut to the game right-click on it and open the file location
- STEP 2. In case you do not follow the below path
- STEP 3. Once you are in the game directory right click on the game launcher file and run the game as an administrator
Game crash issues are very common to occur, in the majority of the cases, the issues is temporary or not problematic to fix at all. Our today’s guide also talks about a similar issue called Civ 5 Not Launching.
Hopefully, after using the above methods your issue will be fixed. Thank you!