OBS (Open Broadcaster Software) is one of the best screen and sound recording programs that are used by users. Even after being a freeware program, it gets up to date on regular basis. Our today’s guide revolves around the OBS black screen issue. It is faced by the users after updating OBS to a new version. This black screen is also coming for the users who have just recently installed the program onto their PC. Users claim that the program runs and record just fine without any crashes or issues; however, once the recording is saved onto the system, it shows a black screen nothing else. The issue also appears if you are trying to share the screen. If you are also facing the black screen issue, then follow this guide to get all the working solutions.
Possible Causes of OBS Black Screen
There can be multiple reasons behind OBS black screen issue. For starters, the issue persists if your system has integrated and dedicated graphics both. By default, it uses dedicated graphics, which causes the problem. The second reason behind this can be the variant of the program you are using; if your system is 64 bit and you have installed a 32-bit version, the issue also occurs. Another reason for this issue can be the missing administrator privileges. All the other causes are mentioned below.
- Graphics issue
- Running 32bit variant on 64bit and vice versa
- Missing administrator permissions
- Compatibility issues
- Other recording software installed
- Incorrect Settings
Similar Types of OBS Black Screen Issues
- Obs black screen laptop
- Obs window capture black screen
- Obs display capture black screen AMD
- Obs intel HD graphics black screen
- Obs black screen Reddit
How to Fix OBS Black Screen Problem Issues
In this section, you will get to know all the different ways to fix the OBS black screen issue. Make sure to follow each step carefully to avoid any further problems.
1. Run with Integrated Graphics
One of the quickest ways to fix the issue is to run the application with Integrated graphics simply. This method has a lot of users and works instantly.
- STEP 1. Right-click on the application
- STEP 2. From the menu, choose Run with graphics processor > Integrated Graphics
- STEP 3. Now you will see that the issue is fixed
2. Run OBS as Administrator
Another quick way to fix the issue is to try running the OBS application with administrator permission. Some users have claimed that this solution works pretty well.
- STEP 1. Right-click on the desktop shortcut of the OBS application
- STEP 2. You will see a list of options on the top you will run as administrator option
- STEP 3. Click on the options, and your issue will be fixed
3. Manually Selecting the Integrated Graphics
- STEP 1. On the desktop screen, right-click anywhere & choose Display settings
- STEP 2. A window will pop up, scroll down to the bottom & click on Graphics settings
- STEP 3. From the drop menu under “choose an app to set preference,” make sure Classic is selected
- STEP 4. Now click on the browse button, here you have to browse the OBS application from the installation directory
- STEP 5. You can find the application using this path
C: > Program Files > Obs Studio > Bin > 64bit > inside the folder select the Obs application
- STEP 6. Once selected, you have to click on the Options button. Now choose the Power Saving option
- STEP 7. Close all the windows now, run the OBS application & it will run just fine without any issues
4. Run OBS with the Windows 7 Compatibility
If the above method fails to work, you then try running the application with Windows 7 compatibility. Follow the steps to do so.
- STEP 1. Make sure that the application is closed completely, now head to the desktop
- STEP 2. Right-click on the OBS shortcut and choose an open file location
- STEP 3. A new window will appear, which is actually the installation directory of OBS
- STEP 4. Here locate the application file and right-click on it; choose Properties
- STEP 5. Once the properties opened up, head to the Compatibility tab, now tick on Run the program in compatibility mode for
- STEP 6. From the drop-down menu, choose windows 7
- STEP 7. Now apply the changes and save them, now try running the application
5. Close All other Programs
This is just a workaround, and some of the users have found this way to be working. Sometimes when you run multiple applications side by side, it can cause issues. When you run multiple applications, multiple services also run. The chances are that any service is conflicting with the OBS services.
So it is suggested that while the OBS is running close to all the other running applications.
6. Uninstall the Application & then Reinstall it
Use this method as a last resort, and sometimes when you install the application, it does not get installed correctly. Although bad installation rarely happens if you knowingly did not do it. So in this scenario, it is suggested that you uninstall the application and then reinstall it.
- STEP 1. Go to the Start menu and search Control Panel
- STEP 2. Now choose the control panel from the results
- STEP 3. Once you are in the control panel, go to Programs, then Uninstall programs
- STEP 4. You will see a long list of installed programs, locate OBS
- STEP 5. Once you have found it, right-click on it and choose Uninstall
The above talks about multiple solutions to fix the OBS black screen issue. These solutions are working for a lot of users.
Hopefully, your issue has been fixed. For more guides on games, follow stuff.