If you are playing games on Nintendo and getting the Nintendo Switch Nat Traversal Process Has Failed error; you are not the only one with this issue. Users have reported that when playing games like animal crossing, Mario Kart 8, ARMS Smash Ultimate, or Splatoon 2 and several games, users get the error. While playing Dragon Ball Fighterz and Fortnite and downloading Warframe and several other non-Nintendo games, the game runs fine without any errors. So in this guide, we will be talking about the possible causes of this and how you can fix this Error by yourself in a few minutes.
Causes of Nintendo Switch Nat Traversal Process Has Failed Error
The introductory part shows that the error only occurs when playing Nintendo games, while non-Nintendo games run without any errors. Furthermore, those users who have faced this issue claim that the error has to do with your internet. Users have reported that if your NAT type is not A or B, you will most likely get the error. Furthermore, some users have also said that there were some ISP issues as well behind this Nintendo Switch Nat Traversal Process Has Failed error.
- Slow and Unstable Internet
- ISP issues
- Temporary Network Issues
- The router Firmware is Outdated
Similar Types of Nintendo Switch Nat Traversal Process Has Failed Error
- Animal Crossing
- Switch animal crossing
- Nat traversal process has failed the hotspot
- Unable to connect to other consoles, animal crossing
- Error code 2618-0513
- How to change nat type switch
- Nintendo switch nat type d mobile hotspot
- Nintendo switch UPnP
- Nat traversal process animal crossing
- One or more consoles are not responding to pokemon
- Unable to connect to other consoles, switch animal crossing
- Nintendo switch nat type f
How to Fix Nintendo Switch Nat Traversal Process Has Failed Error
This section will go through all possible ways to fix Nintendo Switch Nat Traversal Process Has Failed Error. Firstly we will determine the NAT type, and then we will proceed to the methods.
Determine Your NAT Type
- STEP 1. While you are on the home screen, head to System Settings.
- STEP 2. Now scroll down and click on the Internet
- STEP 3. On the right, click on Test Connection.
- STEP 4. Once the connection is tested, Check NAT Type
- STEP 5. If your NAT type A or B, then your internet connection is good; if you get any other, your internet connection is not that good and is unstable
1. Basic Troubleshooting Tips
Below is some important Nintendo Switch Nat Traversal Process Has Failed tips you should go through.
- Update your Router Firmware
- Make sure that there is a good network connection in the room you use, Nintendo.
- Make sure nothing is blocking your router.
- Make sure that the wires and power cable are properly connected
- Make sure there aren’t any metal objects or electronic devices very close to the router
2. Perform Power Cycle
The power cycle is a traditional method to fix any temporary network issues if there aren’t any issues from ISP. Then this will solve the issue. Follow the Nintendo Switch Nat Traversal Process Has Failed steps now.
- STEP 1. Disconnect the power chord from both the modem and wireless router
- STEP 2. However, if your modem has a backup battery installed, you have to remove the battery as well
- STEP 3. Now, wait for at least 2 minutes
- STEP 4. Now connect the power chord to the sockets and let the light become steady
- STEP 5. Once everything is started, connect your Nintendo to the internet and check if the error is gone
3. Change the Network
Maybe there are some issues with your internet; try connecting to a different network that is fast and stable. Connect to an internet that at least have a 3mbps connection speed. Multiple users have reported that changing the network fixes the Nintendo Switch Nat Traversal Process Has Failed issue.
- Connect to a different network
- Connect to a network having at least 3mbps connection speed
4. Tweaking Router Settings
This is a complex Nintendo Switch Nat Traversal Process Has Failed method, so proceed carefully.
**NOTE: The below step are based on pfsense router, if you any other manufacturer, you will get the basic idea, and you can fix it on your own.
Part 1: Giving Nintendo Static IP & Port
- STEP 1. Head to Administrator Console
- STEP 2. Browse to Services > DHCP Server > LAN
- STEP 3. Now scroll down and under “DHCP Static Mappings for this Interface” and click Add
**NOTE: In this case we are assuming that 192.168.1.1 and a DHCP server running which is giving IP's out between 192.168.1.100-192.168.1.200
- STEP 4. Now put in the MAC address of Nintendo and give an IP address; in this case, we have given 192.168.1.13
- STEP 5. Apply the changes, and hard reboot Nintendo
- STEP 6. Head back to the Admin control, and go to Firewall > NAT > Outbound tab. Choose Hybrid Outbound NAT
- STEP 7. Save the changes
- STEP 8. Now under the Mapping Section, click the Green ‘Add’ button
- STEP 9. Now follow the image below and make the changes mentioned in the image below
Part 2: Enable UPnP on Router Interface
UPnP is a protocol that is supported by Nintendo and can be used on your home network. Use this method to eliminate Errors.
- STEP 1. Open up the Router Administrator Interface
- STEP 2. Head to Services > UPnP & NAT-PMP
- STEP 3. Now enable it; if there are UPnP and NAT-PMP specific boxes tick them as well
- STEP 4. Also, keep in mind that External Interface is set to WAN and keep LAN below WAN
In the above guide, we have given all the possible ways to fix the Nintendo Switch Nat traversal process has failed error.
We hope your Nintendo Switch Nat Traversal Process Has Failed issue is fixed; for more guides like this, follow us.